Oesophageal reflux - also called gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) - is a common cause of symptoms of upper tummy (abdominal) pain and chest pain. It is caused by acid from the stomach leaking up into the gullet (oesophagus).
Some foods are more likely to trigger reflux symptoms and it may help to look at how you eat as well as what you eat.
What is oesophageal reflux?
How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux Causes (⭐️ Remedies) | How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux Heartburn Medicinehow to How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux for Oesophageal reflux is also known as gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). It most commonly causes a burning pain in the chest which comes on after eating. You may also have a pain in the upper part of your tummy (abdomen) or a sensation of acid coming up into your gullet (oesophagus).
What are the symptoms of oesophageal reflux?
The symptoms can be caused by several different factors in the body.
- The stomach may be producing too much acid. This can happen if you are feeling stressed.
- The muscle ring (sphincter) at the bottom of the gullet (oesophagus) may be too relaxed and open, allowing food and acid to reflux upwards. Alcohol and smoking both relax the sphincter.
- In people with a hiatus hernia, stomach contents can reflux easily into the oesophagus
- The stomach may be slow to empty after eating. This is more likely if you eat a fatty meal.
- Something may be increasing the pressure in the tummy (abdomen), forcing stomach contents upwards. Factors which increase the pressure include tight clothing, obesity, pregnancy and coughing.
Which foods and other factors are likely to trigger oesophageal reflux?
It is helpful to try to identify whether there are any particular foods which trigger your reflux. It might be a good idea to keep a food diary for at least a week, recording what you eat and what symptoms you have.
How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux 6 Ways To Get Relief During (🔥 7 Home Remedies) | How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux How Tohow to How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath When You Have High Acid Reflux for There is quite a big list of foods which are said to cause reflux symptoms. However, they may not all apply to you. For some people, reflux may not be triggered by particular foods at all but by other factors. Sometimes the trigger may be a combination of foods and other factors.
There are lots of factors around eating which can make these symptoms worse:
- Eating late at night. If possible, don''Good''s Information Standard.
Health information you can trust
© Patient Platform Limited. Registered in England and Wales. All rights reserved. Patient does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Registered number: 10004395 Registered office: Fulford Grange, Micklefield Lane, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6BA. Patient is a UK registered trade mark.