Is acid reflux the same as GERD? Answer From Purna Kashyap, M.B.B.S.
Acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) are closely related, but the terms don''t eat two to three hours before bedtime, raise the head of your bed, and avoid foods that seem to trigger heartburn — such as fried or fatty foods, chocolate, and peppermint. Don't wear tight clothing around your abdomen, and avoid alcohol and tobacco.
If necessary, occasional acid reflux can be treated with over-the-counter medication, including:
- Antacids, such as Tums or Maalox
- H-2-receptor blockers, such as cimetidine (Tagamet HB) or famotidine (Pepcid AC)
If you suspect that you have GERD, your signs and symptoms worsen, or you have nausea, vomiting or difficulty swallowing, talk to your doctor. Prescription medications might help. In a few for 1 last update 2020/02/18 cases, GERD might be treated with surgery or other procedures.If you suspect that you have GERD, your signs and symptoms worsen, or you have nausea, vomiting or difficulty swallowing, talk to your doctor. Prescription medications might help. In a few cases, GERD might be treated with surgery or other procedures.
Is Organic Sulfer Good For Gerd List Of (👍 Chronic Heartburn) | Is Organic Sulfer Good For Gerd 7 Natural GERDhow to Is Organic Sulfer Good For Gerd for July 31, 2019
Purna Kashyap, M.B.B.S.
See more Expert Answers
- Acid reflux (GER & GERD) in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/acid-reflux-ger-gerd-adults/all-content?dkrd=hispt0225. Accessed June 25, 2019.
- Acid reflux. American College of Gastroenterology. https://gi.org/topics/acid-reflux/. Accessed June 25, 2019.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). American Gastroenterological Association. https://www.gastro.org/practice-guidance/gi-patient-center/topic/gastroesophageal-reflux-disease-gerd. Accessed June 25, 2019.
- Kahrilas PJ. Medical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 26, 2019.